Thursday, January 15, 2015

Professionals Show Up

As I'm sitting here writing this, I'm cuddling my 3 year old, watching Cinderella, and wishing that I had something stronger than ibuprofen for pain. So why am I writing this right now? Why don't I post late this week? Or don't post at all? Because here's the deal, I consider this blog as part of my brand, part of something that makes me a professional. If I push it off, something else might be seen as more important. I missed my nap time window because well, someone wouldn't nap, so I was barely able to squeeze in 500 words. That's 500 words that I didn't have yesterday, so I'm calling it a win.

That all being said, I'm not here to make excuses, I'm not here to tell you a good try is what counts. Okay, that second one is kind of true. I just finished a book called "Manage Your Day to Day", as I'm sure you can tell it's all about time management, but the advice comes from some pretty big name people. That being said the one line that stuck with me was "Professionals Show Up". I have a lot of complaints about people who don't stick to what they say, wait until the last moment, or hand me a bunch of excuses. This isn't to say that I'm not understanding, I try to be. Things happen, deaths in the family, personal emergencies...things out of people's control.

As an indie author or a trade author, you have to look as writing as your job, part time or full. You show up, you get stuff done, some days are better than others. Despite the pain, I would have shown up to work if I worked a traditional job. My book is not going to write itself and Exclusively Yours certainly isn't going to edit itself. I have deadlines to meet, people to communicate with, and readers who are expecting books.

Your marketing, writing, editing and everything else isn't going to get done unless you show up everyday to make it so. (of course unless you hirer people for particular tasks). Block of part of your day, if you can make it the same time everyday. (I use nap time and coffee time, nap time my daughter is sleeping, most days. And coffee time is her tv time.) Somedays it gets screwed up, but you still get in that time. Why?

Because you a professional and professionals show up. I set a goal for my time: 1k words on one project 1k on another, if I still have time, I move to what's next in my editing cue. Some days I make it to editing and other days I don't. I have a particular time at night dedicated to just editing.

Just 2k total a day? Yes. I know authors who can write 5-10k a day. Most of them are twice my age and have no children at home. When my daughter is old enough for school those numbers will change, but I know that is the min that I can make in a day. As I can delegate other tasks out, like social media, I'll have more time to dedicate to writing. Right now, I wear all the hates in my business. For that is what this is, a business. This is what I want to do for a living. So set times everyday (or 5 days a week, or what schedule you want that will work) and show up. Make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment