Friday, December 27, 2013

Mia's Year In Review



2013… Oh how you fickle and frustrating you've been. Now that we are facing 2014 I thought I'd do some reflections, because as stressful at 2013 was it was also equally exciting. So let's get down to the milestones of this past year for me:

-          The SPE blog has been a success as an outlet for me on my self-publishing journey.
-          The Twisted Tales blog turned out better than I had imagined.
-          I signed a publishing contract with Ellora's Cave (which was completely unexpected)
-          I self-published my first book: Waking Up In Bedlam
-          I have managed to keep my author page free of any drama, which keeps my brand professional.
-          NaNo wasn't a complete loss. It helped me get a good start on Waking Up In Chains.
-          I submitted a short story for an Anthology. The deadline was Dec. 31st, I got it in Dec. 26th. I feel very accomplished to have hit that before the deadline, not much before it, but still… It's progress.
-          I have my schedule laid out for the next six months with new releases coming near summer.

What have I learned:

-          I have learned that marketing is definitely my weak spot. Which is good to know, it will be an area I really work hard on in this next year.
-          Word of mouth can only get you so far, the rest is up to you.
-          Haters gonna hate, that doesn't mean you have to let them drag you down to their level.
-          Nothing beats the support of friends, family and fans.
-          Love what you do and do what you love.

So that is my year in a nut shell. Next year will be happy, exciting, and prosperous. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment